TV talk show star Ellen Degeneres has revealed she was the inspiration behind the 2000 film Miss Congeniality. Sandra Bullock played a Federal Bureau of Investigation agent who goes undercover as a beauty pageant contestant, and the Oscar host explains the writer came up with the idea while watching her rehearse for an awards show.
DeGeneres tells Parade magazine, "Miss Congeniality was written based on me. When I was getting ready to co-host the Emmys, the writer saw me (on TV) learning how to walk in a dress and heels. My stylist at the time - a man - was teaching me, and it was hilarious. The Miss Congeniality writer saw it and thought it was brilliant."
Newly-released documents reveal investigators from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) suspected Mafia bosses of fixing Muhammad Ali's historic fight with Sonny Liston. Ali stunned the boxing world in 1964 when he defeated Liston as a rank outsider, snatching the World Heavyweight title.
Liston had thrown in the towel before the start of the seventh round, but now documents released in the U.S. suggest the fighter, who died in 1970, made more than $1 million (£625,000) by betting against himself in the bout.
It was alleged known Mafia-affiliated mobsters in Las Vegas, where the fight was staged, teamed up with Liston to bet on Ali, and that a subsequent magazine article detailing huge gambling losses for the Mob was a "cover-up" to hide the fix.
Die Hard director John Mctiernan has been released from prison after serving time for lying to federal agents. The filmmaker was ordered to spend a year behind bars in 2010 after he was convicted on two counts of making false statements to authorities at the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) as part of their probe into crimes committed by jailed Hollywood private detective Anthony Pellicano.
He turned himself in to police last April (13) to begin his sentence, but he was allowed to walk free from Federal Prison Camp in Yankton, South Dakota on Tuesday (25Feb14) after spending 328 days in detention.
He will serve the remainder of his 12-month term under house arrest at his family ranch in Wyoming.
McTiernan is refusing to give up the fight to reverse his conviction after previously trying and failing to withdraw his guilty plea in 2012. Following his release, his spokesperson revealed the disgraced filmmaker was planning to file a complaint with the Justice Department Office of Professional Responsibility to have the alleged crime wiped from his record, claiming prosecutors and other officials acted improperly.
A statement obtained by The Hollywood Reporter reads: "McTiernan's attorney, Hank Hockeimer, said he has told the 9th Circuit Court that his client was in prison 'not only for a crime he did not commit, but for conduct that simply is not a crime,' and that 'Prosecutorial contortions and judicially-created procedural walls have been employed and erected throughout these proceedings to block out a simple fact: an innocent man sits in federal prison.'
"McTiernan, though incarcerated, has never been given proof of any evidence the government alleged to have against him. McTiernan's sentence for a false statement was influenced by the allegation of the government that wiretapping occurred on his behalf."
McTiernan initially admitted to hiring Pellicano to illegally record movie producer Charles Roven's phone conversations and lying to authorities about it. He was also convicted on one count of perjury for lying to a federal judge during the period when he wanted to withdraw his earlier guilty plea.
Australian actor Luke Bracey is set to take on Keanu Reeves' iconic agent role in the Point Break remake. The G.I. Joe: Retaliation star has been cast to play Johnny Utah, an undercover Federal Bureau of Investigation agent who tries to infiltrate a criminal gang in the world of surfing.
Reeves portrayed Utah in the 1991 Kathryn Bigelow movie, but he has ruled out a return for the remake.
Gerard Butler will take on the part of gang leader Bodhi, a role made famous by late actor Patrick Swayze.
Production is slated to begin in the summer (14) with Invincible's Ericson Core directing.
Johnny Depp is back on board to portray notorious crime boss James 'Whitey' Bulger in a new biopic. The Edward Scissorhands star was originally cast in Black Mass last February (13), but dropped out in May (13) after he was reportedly asked to take a $10 million (£6.25 million) pay cut due to budget constraints.
Last month (Jan14), it was reported the actor was back in talks and now he has officially signed on to play the Boston, Massachusetts gangster, who spent almost two decades evading capture after he was placed on the Federal Bureau of Investigation 's (FBI) Most Wanted List, according to Deadline.com.
Rain Man director Barry Levinson was initially attached to direct the film, but Out of the Furnace filmmaker Scott Cooper has taken over the project.
In addition to Depp's casting, The Dark Knight Rises actor Tom Hardy is reportedly in talks to star as former FBI agent John Connolly, a childhood friend of Bulger who served time in prison for racketeering and obstruction of justice charges stemming from his relationship with him.
Production is expected to begin in May (14).
Black Mass isn't the only film based on Bulger's life story in development - Matt Damon is also set to star as the crime lord in a new project directed by his pal Ben Affleck, while Twilight actor Peter Facinelli is working on a TV adaptation of Edward MacKenzie and Phyllis Karas' book Street Soldier: My Life as an Enforcer For Whitey Bulger and the Boston Irish Mob.
Beyonce's father Mathew Knowles has been sued by an accountancy firm over alleged unpaid bills. The music manager has been hit with a lawsuit from a credit bureau on behalf of bosses at the company over claims he owes $64,587 (£40,366) for financial management services, according to TMZ.com.
It is the latest legal woe for Knowles - he was recently accused of failing to pay his former mistress Alexsandra Wright $12,000 (£7,500)-a-month for their child, Nixon, who was born in 2010.
The Crazy In Love superstar dismissed Knowles as her manager in 2011.
Actor Johnny Depp is in new talks to portray notorious crime boss James 'Whitey' Bulger in a biopic. The Edward Scissorhands star was originally cast in Black Mass in February (13), but dropped out in May (13) after he was reportedly asked to take a $10 million (GBP6.25 million) pay cut due to budget constraints.
Rain Man director Barry Levinson was initially attached to direct the film, but Out of Furnace filmmaker Scott Cooper is now reportedly in talks to rewrite and direct the movie about the Boston, Massachusetts gangster, who spent almost two decades evading capture after he was placed on the Federal Bureau of Investigation 's (FBI) Most Wanted List.
Black Mass isn't the only film based on Bulger's life story in development - Matt Damon is also set to star as the crime lord in a new project directed by his pal Ben Affleck, while Twilight actor Peter Facinelli is set to star in a TV adaptation of Edward MacKenzie and Phyllis Karas' book Street Soldier: My Life as an Enforcer For Whitey Bulger and the Boston Irish Mob.
Gospel singer Marvin Sapp has found himself linked to an investigation surrounding a missing female doctor from Michigan after it emerged that he had obtained a restraining order against her last year (13). Teleka Patrick was last seen on 5 December (13) at a hotel in the city of Kalamazoo, not far from the hospital where she was a resident.
Her car was found abandoned in a ditch about 100 miles (160.9 kilometres) away in Indiana later that night, with her purse, cash and identification cards all left behind.
Authorities, including agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, are still working on the missing persons case and now Sapp's name has been caught up in the headlines after he accused Patrick of posing as his wife, contacting his teenage children and visiting his Michigan home.
The Grammy Award-nominated star, who serves as a pastor at the Lighthouse Full Life Center Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, was granted a protective order against the 30 year old in September (13), which remains in effect until 18 March (14).
The 46-year-old singer, who lost his wife of 20 years, MaLinda, to cancer in 2010, has yet to comment on Patrick's disappearance.
Investigators are using the news of the restraining order to help them better understand Patrick's emotional and mental state at the time she went missing.
Rappers Insane Clown Posse have filed a lawsuit against officials at the U.S. Justice Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation over a report which labelled their fans gang members. Violent J, real name Joseph Bruce, and Shaggy 2 Dope, real name Joey Utsler, and four fans filed the legal paperwork on Wednesday (08Jan14) in the U.S. Federal District Court in Michigan, claiming their constitutional rights of free expression and association and due process were violated by the 2011 National Gang Threat Assessment.
The fans, who call themselves Juggalos, also allege they have been subject to police harassment because of the designation.
Violent J says, "When the label first come out, I laughed at it. I had no idea how much it would effect us. Now it's like a growing disease. It's affecting everything ICP does. We're going to fight this to the death, 'cause (sic) it's not true. It's stupid. It's ridiculous."
Shaggy 2 Dope adds, "We're not a gang. We're a family - a diverse group of men and women united by our love of music, and nothing more. We're not a threat, a public menace or a danger to society... and it's time the FBI recognises that. We will prevail in this fight to clear the Juggalo family name, because not to would be bulls**t."
The case is the latest legal woe for the rappers - they are facing a wrongful termination lawsuit from a former publicist, who is also accusing them of harassment.
The police official who helped Guns N' Roses star Dj Ashba realise his dream of proposing to Colombian actressNathalia Henao high above Las Vegas last year (13) has retired rather than accept a demotion for violating department policy. Captain David O'Leary helped the guitarist pull off an elaborate wedding proposal by arranging a flight on an official helicopter.
The 25 year old, who oversaw the Las Vegas Financial Crimes Bureau, retired last month (Dec13) after learning he was to be demoted to the rank of lieutenant.
His sidekick, Ray Horsley, who piloted the helicopter, is to be transferred out of the Air Support Detail later this month (Jan14), and he will no longer be allowed to fly for the department, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The disciplinary action follows a four-month investigation, which was sparked by Ashba in September (13) when he posted a photo of himself and Henao wearing helicopter headgear on Instagram.com, accompanied by a note in which he thanked the Las Vegas police department for "the most amazing" private helicopter tour over the city.