Simon Cowell has spoken out to insist rumours he is gay are untrue following extraordinary allegations in a London court that he has slept with several men.
A jury at Southwark Crown Court heard the sensational claim last week (ends20Jul4) during the trial of former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos for brokering a cocaine deal for an undercover journalist.
That case collapsed on Monday (21Jul13) and the pop star was cleared of the charge, and Cowell has subsequently issued a statement addressing allegations heard by the jury.
Secretly-filmed footage contained a clip of Contostavlos' personal assistant Gareth Varey telling the reporter that Cowell is homosexual and has slept with several of Varey's friends.
In a statement, a representative for The X Factor boss says, "Simon was referred to during the trial without forewarning, resulting in widespread media coverage of untrue claims regarding his private life."
"In 2014 the question of whether someone is or is not gay is antiquated. (As it happens he isn't, though if he were, he would simply have said so). "However, the issue was the false suggestion made by Mr. Varey that Simon - who is renowned for his honesty and candidness - had thus not been truthful in the public arena and this is what we have been obliged to clarify."
British pop star Tulisa Contostavlos used a secret code when talking to a drug dealer to avoid saying the words 'cocaine' and 'marijuana', a court has heard. The former N-Dubz singer allegedly bragged that her ex-boyfriend was a major cocaine supplier and told an undercover journalist she used the terms "green sweets" and "white sweets" to differentiate between substances when putting in an order.
Contostavlos, a former judge and mentor on the U.K.'s The X Factor, is accused of brokering a $1,360 (£800) cocaine deal for the reporter, who she believed was a Hollywood movie boss lining her up for a film role opposite Leonardo DiCaprio.
The jury at London's Southwark Crown Court heard on Wednesday (16Jul14) that Contostavlos had several meetings with the journalist after she "swallowed the story completely", and in one of their chats she was allegedly recorded bragging about smoking cannabis to help her sleep.
The court was told she was caught on tape saying, "I use cannabis to get to sleep, it helps me switch off."
As she then allegedly discussed ordering drugs from her ex-boyfriend, she added, "I call them green sweets and I call them white sweets. They will ask, 'What kind of sweets do you want?' and I will go, 'Green sweets please, not white sweets for me but for my mates and that'."
A recording of a phone call between the singer and the journalist, Mazher Mahmood, was played to the jury on Wednesday, and when he asks about drugs Contostavlos can be heard replying, "Definitely on the day. What I will do, I can definitely sort it, I just need to make some more calls."
Mahmood then tells her, "Obviously, just keep this between us," and the pop star giggles as she replies, "It wouldn't sound too good that Tulisa is off finding white sweets."
Contostavlos allegedly later texted her manager the message: "Need 2 hook up 2 nits (nights) out in a row 4 these dudes. And some white sweets."
Prosecutor Timothy Cray told the jury that Mahmood later bought cocaine from a rapper pal of Contostavlos in May last year (13), and the story subsequently appeared in The Sun on Sunday newspaper. She was arrested shortly afterwards.
When she was interviewed by police, the star insisted her words had been "taken out of context" and she had been "playing a role" and talking to the journalist in an "exaggerated manner".
Contostavlos, of Friern Barnet, north London, denies being concerned in the supply of cocaine.
The trial continues.
British pop star Tulisa Contostavlos brokered a $1,360 (£800) cocaine deal for an undercover reporter after becoming convinced he was a movie producer who was lining her up for a major Hollywood role opposite Leonardo DiCaprio, a court has heard.
The former N-Dubz singer is on trial for allegedly arranging for a drug-dealing pal to sell half an ounce of the illegal drug to a man she believed was a leading film studio boss.
However, he was really notorious U.K. undercover journalist Mazher Mahmood, and Contostavlos was subsequently charged by cops after the story appeared in The Sun on Sunday newspaper.
At the opening of her trial at London's Southwark Crown Court on Wednesday (16Jul14), the jury was told Contostavlos was once a member of a street gang which sold crack cocaine. She met with Mahmood - who was using the cover name 'Samir Khan' - at swanky hotels in Las Vegas and London last year (13) after he told her agent he could land her a role in a "big production" alongside Titanic star DiCaprio.
Prosecutor Timothy Cray told the court, "It is clear the defendant was very keen to break into films and she and her manager swallowed the story completely. She was told that she would be more suitable for the film than Keira Knightley or Kate Winslet."
The jury heard that the pop star, who was also a judge and mentor on the U.K.'s The X Factor for two seasons, later agreed to sell Mahmood cocaine and used the term "white sweets" as code for the drug in text messages.
She allegedly arranged for her pal, rapper Mike Coombs, to supply the drug to the reporter in a room at London's Dorchester hotel in May, 2013.
The prosecutor added, "We say that the defendant was instrumental in arranging the supply of cocaine carried out in the Dorchester... Although the defendant had not negotiated the price or the amount, she had done all she could to make a supply of cocaine happen and the charge reflects her involvement in the supply of the drug."
Contostavlos, of Friern Barnet, north London, denies being concerned in the supply of cocaine. The trial continues.
A rapper pal of British pop star Tulisa Contostavlos has pleaded guilty to supplying cocaine to an undercover journalist, on the eve of the pair's trial. The former N-Dubz star is accused of brokering a deal for half an ounce of the drug by arranging a meeting between the reporter and Michael Coombs, who is known professionally as Mike GLC, in May last year (13).
Contostavlos denies the charge, but at the start of their joint trial in London on Monday (14Jul14), Coombs changed his plea and admitted being concerned in the supply of Class A drugs.
He will be sentenced at the end of Contostavlos' trial, which is due to open before a jury on Tuesday (15Jul14).
The pop star, of Friern Barnet, north London, denies being concerned in the supply of cocaine.
Bosses responsible for celebrity perfumes by the likes of Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj have launched legal action to ban the sale of rival products they allege are knock-offs. Chiefs at cosmetics giant Elizabeth Arden claim items in the Preferred Fragrance range bear striking similarities to their celebrity scents and are targeted at the same audience.
They believe Preferred Fragrance heads named two of their scents Be My Girl and Today in a bid to copy Bieber's Girlfriend release, and even used the same pink and purple colours in their packaging to lure customers.
The plaintiffs have also compared other Preferred Fragrance products to their Swift and Minaj-branded perfumes to prove their trademarks have repeatedly been infringed, according to TMZ.com.
Elizabeth Arden bosses are demanding a jury trial for damages.
Bieber's Girlfriend and Someday scents have raked in $87 million (£51.18 million) in retail sales, while Taylor's Wonderstruck beauty products have hit the $60 million (£25.29 million) mark.
A celebrity blogger has been accused of lying to police about an assault allegedly involving British pop star Tulisa Contostavlos at a U.K. music festival last year (13). The N-Dubz singer is currently on trial at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court in Essex, England amid reports she attacked writer Vas Morgan at the V Festival in August, 2013.
Morgan claims Contostavlos punched him in the face, leaving him with a swollen, puffy left eye. He told authorities his injuries had been documented in a photo by snapper Royston Gooden Legore, but, as the trial resumed on Wednesday (02Jul14) following a six-week break, the jury heard that the picture doesn't exist.
Questioning Morgan, defence lawyer Jeremy Dein QC asked, "You have misled police throughout regarding the existence of a photo showing injuries to you, haven't you? That is why Mr. Legore has not come forward, because there never was a photograph."
Morgan denied the allegations and insisted Legore had deleted the image after fearing he would be blacklisted in the U.K. music industry if he spoke out against Contostavlos.
He added, "I don't need to mislead the police about a picture. If there was no photo, I would have said.
"I was honest from the start and I will keep being honest. If you don't think there was a photo then that's the end of it."
Contostavlos has pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault, while her assistant Gareth Varey has also denied a count of harassment. The trial continues.
The embattled singer is also due to stand trial in a separate case for a drug charge on 14 July (14), the day after she turns 26.
British actress Billie Piper will star in a new London play inspired by the U.K. phone-hacking scandal. The satirical drama, titled Great Britain, focuses on the country's press and politics, drawing inspiration from high-profile stories such as the furore over now-defunct tabloid the News of The World, as well as a public battle over politicians' expenses and the disappearance of British youngster Madeleine McCann in 2007.
Piper plays Paige Britain, a young news editor at a tabloid struggling to increase readership.
However, the play's director, Sir Nicholas Hytner, is adamant the character is not based on Rebekah Brooks, the former editor of British newspapers The Sun and the News of the World, who was sensationally cleared of all charges relating to the phone-hacking scandal in court in London on Tuesday (24Jun14).
He says, "She (the character) is not an editor. She is not based on Rebekah Brooks. There is no character in this play that is identifiable as any living protagonist... As satire always is, it is an exaggeration and grotesque distortion of current events. But I hope it throws a critical light on current events through a fictional treatment of them."
Hytner chose to wait until the phone hacking trial was over before announcing the play, which will open on Monday (30Jun14) at the National Theatre's Lyttelton venue. It will run until 23 August (14).
Brooks walked free from court in London on Tuesday following the lengthy trial. Another former News of the World editor, Andy Coulson, was found guilty on a charge of conspiracy to intercept communications.
The jury was unable to reach a majority verdict on two further charges against Coulson on Wednesday (25Jun14) and was discharged.
Publishing tycoon Rupert Murdoch is wanted for questioning by British police as part of an inquiry into alleged criminal activity at his newspapers. The news comes after Murdoch's former News of the World editor Andy Coulson was found guilty on a charge of conspiracy to intercept communications at the Old Bailey in London on Tuesday (24Jun14).
Rebekah Brooks, the ex-News International chief executive and former editor of Murdoch's British newspapers The Sun and the News of the World, was cleared of all charges relating to the sensational phone-hacking trial.
According to reports, Murdoch was contacted by officers at Scotland Yard last year (13) but they agreed to his lawyer's request to wait until the trial was over to quiz the media mogul.
He is expected to be questioned "under caution" as part of their probe into alleged criminal activities at his British newspapers, and his son James, who was executive chairman of News International in the U.K., may also be interviewed.
In 2011, Murdoch and his son attended a British Parliament inquiry into the phone-hacking scandal, during which the tycoon was attacked by an interloper wielding a cream pie.
Stars including Hugh Grant, Jude Law, Sienna Miller and Steve Coogan were among the high-profile victims of the News of the World's hacking scandal. The publication was closed by Murdoch in 2011.
A jury is still deliberating further charges against Coulson, who denies allegations of conspiring to commit misconduct in a public office.
Former newspaper boss Rebekah Brooks has been sensationally cleared of all charges relating to the high-profile phone-hacking trial in London. The ex-News International chief executive, and former editor of Britain's The Sun and News of the World newspapers, was found not guilty of four charges, including conspiracy to intercept communications, perverting the course of justice and conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office.
Meanwhile, Andy Coulson, another former editor of now-defunct tabloid News of the World, was found guilty on a charge of conspiracy to intercept communications.
Brooks' husband Charlie Brooks was found not guilty of perverting the course of justice, while her personal assistant Cheryl Carter was also cleared of the same charge.
News International's former head of security Mark Hanna was cleared of concealing computers, while the News of the World's former managing editor Stuart Kuttner was found not guilty of conspiracy to intercept communications.
The jury is still deliberating two further charges against Coulson and another against the News of the World's former royal editor Clive Goodman.
Stars including Hugh Grant, Jude Law, Sienna Miller and Steve Coogan were among the high-profile victims of the News of the World's hacking scandal. The publication was closed by Rupert Murdoch in 2011.
Country singer Scotty Mccreery has lost his legal battle with his former manager, Todd Cassetty, and now must hand over more than $200,000 (£117,318) in overdue revenue. The former American Idol winner was hit with a lawsuit last year (13) in which Cassetty claimed he was owed 15 per cent of McCreery's income, accrued over the course of five months.
On Wednesday (18Jun14), a trial jury ruled in favour of Cassetty and now 20-year-old McCreery must hand over $239,329 (£140,385), according to The Tennessean newspaper.
When McCreery was crowned the champion of American Idol in 2011, he was managed by Simon Fuller's 19 Entertainment, but he hired Cassetty in 2012 to take over.
A daily courtroom series dramatizing real-life courtroom proceedings and flashbacks concerning crimes. Raymond Burr portrays a retired judge who guides viewers through the courtroom dramatizations, explaining legal terminology and summarizing key testimony.