Getty Images/Bruce Glikas
Actor Zach Braff has denied rumours he's dating Taylor Swift, insisting he has sworn off dating "super-famous girls" after becoming a tabloid target while romancing singer/actress Mandy Moore.
Speculation recently surfaced that the former Scrubs star and the serial celebrity dater had become an item, but in an interview with U.S. shock jock Howard Stern on Monday (21Jul14), Braff quickly shot down the story. Calling the Love Story singer "a sweet girl" the actor explained he has only met Swift twice and romance reports are nothing but "Internet bulls**t".
Braff, who recently split from his model girlfriend Taylor Bagley after five years together, revealed he vowed never to date another celebrity after breaking up with Saved star Moore in 2006. He told Stern, "When you date another famous person, that's when they really hound you. That's when the paparazzi are outside your house and that's when you can't ride your bike through Manhattan because they follow you."
"When my relationship with Mandy ended, (my publicist) said, 'I'm going to give you a hint that you should know. If you don't date these 25 girls, your life will be so much easier.' And she was kind of exaggerating because there's more than those 25 girls, but in so many words, if you can, don't date other famous people because then all the tabloids pretty much leave you alone."
He added, "I could walk down the street, I don't get followed. Well, if you're going to hook up with a famous girl, that might be fun for your ego, but you don't want to be out in public dating a famous girl because then they follow you everywhere you go."
And Braff admitted he'd hate to have pal Harry Styles' life, adding, "He can't walk two f**king feet or a crowd forms and the paparazzi forms (sic)... He's the sweetest kid, but I don't want that existence."
Ironically, Styles briefly dated Taylor Swift at the end of 2102.
Stars including Scarlett Johansson, Harvey Weinstein and Nathan Lane turned out for an extravagant dinner thrown by lifestyle guru Martha Stewart in New York on Saturday night (19Jul14). The evening was the cookery expert's first big party at her East Hampton estate for more than 20 years, according to the New York Post's gossip column Page Six.
The elegant dinner marked the launch of a rare Dom Perignon Champagne, and the celebrity guests sipped the expensive drink while watching an art installation film before sitting down to a lavish dinner inside a marquee.
Johansson was joined by her French fiance Romain Dauriac, and Hollywood producer Weinstein brought along his fashion designer wife Georgina Chapman and their three-year-old daughter India.
Also attending the bash were radio shock jock Howard Stern, Broadway veteran Nathan Lane, Devious Maids star Susan Lucci and actor Christopher Meloni.
Singer Adam Levine has denied sleeping with Lindsay Lohan despite his name appearing on the leaked list of her former celebrity lovers.
The Maroon 5 frontman was just one of 36 male stars on the scandalous handwritten list which was posted online by a U.S. tabloid in March (14). Lohan later confirmed she wrote the list as part of her rehab treatment last year (13), but like James Franco, who also dismissed rumours he was sexually involved with the Mean Girls star, Levine tells shock jock Howard Stern he never slept with Lohan.
Levine insists, "That's not true. I did not have sexual intercourse with Lindsay Lohan. I will swear on anything that you ask that I have never had sex with Lindsay Lohan! "Here's the problem: I bet you if we brought her in here and you asked her to her face 'Did you have sex with James (Franco)?' she'd say yes."
In addition to Levine and Franco, other celebrities on Lohan's list included Ashton Kutcher, Heath Ledger, Justin Timberlake, Zac Efron, Colin Farrell and Wilmer Valderrama, who she dated for six months in 2004.
Actor Ansel Elgort is to portray American pianist Van Cliburn in a new biopic. Van Cliburn will be based on the Howard Reich novel of the same name and will reunite Elgort with his The Fault in Our Stars producers Wyck Godfrey and Marty Bowen, according to Deadline.com.
Andrew Stern will write the script for the movie, which will focus on the musician's early years and the Tchaikovsky International Piano Competition in Moscow, which he won in 1958.
Cliburn passed away of bone cancer last year (13).
In the past few days more celebrities have apologized for more problematic behavior than, perhaps, ever before. Let's begin with Justin Bieber. Old footage showed him telling a racist joke about black people, chains, and slavery; he, of course, used the N-word. After issuing a formal apology, another video was released.
Makes it real hard to take that first apology seriously.
Next up is Jonah Hill. A great comedian, beloved actor, and now—just another celebrity issuing public apologies. He hurled a homophobic slur at a paparazzi photographer, and his since apologized twice (once on Howard Stern, and again on The Tonight Show).
And today all of Twitter has been buzzing over Pharrell's Elle UK magazine cover. The "Happy" singer is wearing a Native American headdress, as if it's some sort of accessory or fun hat. He, too, has issued an apology. But many people are still #NotHappy:
I'm seriously disappointed in @Pharrell for wearing a war bonnet on the cover of @ELLEmagazine #nothappy pic.twitter.com/bJJjutbdht
— Ashley Mocosa (@mocosamoments) June 4, 2014
With so many celebrity apologies floating around, it's becoming difficult to keep them all straight—and it's even more difficult to take any of them seriously. Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world where celebrities (and non-celebrities) knew that intolerance and cultural appropriation were wrong, and therefore didn't participate in either, and subsequently, wouldn't have to issue these apologies? Maybe some day...
Follow @Hollywood_com Follow @shannonmhouston
Actor Jonah Hill took to U.S. TV on Tuesday (03Jun14) to repeat his apology for hurling a homophobic slur at a photographer, insisting he has let down his fans in the gay community. The Wolf of Wall Street star was being followed by a paparazzo in Los Angeles over the weekend (31May-01Jun14) when he lost his temper and spluttered, "Suck my d**k, you f**got" when the snapper complimented his shorts.
The outburst was caught on camera and emerged online on Tuesday, and Hill used an interview with U.S. DJ Howard Stern to say sorry for the "disgusting" remark.
He reiterated his apology hours later when he sat down for an interview with chat show host Jimmy Fallon, and became choked up when talking about the scandal.
Hill said, "In response (to the photographer), I wanted to hurt him back, and I said the most hurtful word that I could think of at that moment.
"I didn't mean this in the sense of the word, you know? I didn't mean it in a homophobic way... I think that, um, that doesn't matter. How you mean things doesn't matter. Words have weight and meaning, and the word I chose was grotesque. And, you know? No one deserves to say or hear words like that.
"I genuinely am deeply sorry to anyone who's ever been affected by that term in their life... I don't deserve or expect your forgiveness, but what I ask is that at home; if you're watching this, and you're a young person especially; if someone says something that hurts you or angers you, use me as an example of what not to do, and don't respond with hatred or anger. Because you're just adding more ugliness to the world."
Actor Jonah Hill has moved quickly to defuse the controversy over his gay jibe at a snapper, branding his remark "disgusting" and admitting he deeply regrets the incident.
The Wolf of Wall Street star was being pursued by a paparazzo in Los Angeles over the weekend (31May-01Jun14) when he lost his temper and spluttered, "Suck my d**k, you f**got" when the snapper complimented his shorts. However, within hours of film footage of the incident emerging online on Tuesday (03Jun14), Hill spoke to radio shock jock Howard Stern to make clear he deeply regrets the incident. Hill told the DJ, "What I said in that moment was disgusting... I shouldn't have said that."
The funnyman said he takes full responsibility for the comment but alleged the snapper had been following him for hours.
Actor Neil Patrick Harris declined an offer from America's CBS network bosses to take over for David Letterman after he departs The Late Show. The former star of How I Met Your Mother, which also aired on the CBS network, has revealed he was at the top of the shortlist to take over for the comedian, who is set to leave his post in 2015.
In a recent interview with shock jock Howard Stern, Harris admitted he met with CBS chairman and CEO Les Moonves to discuss the possibility of the new gig, but ultimately said no due to the routine nature of a nightly job.
Harris said he would "get bored" of the format, adding, "I don't have any interest in doing 'monologue, commercial, sketch, guest, guest musical act, goodnight."
He also divulged that Moonves attempted to get him to take over from Scottish funnyman Craig Ferguson, who is also leaving his position on The Late Late Show, but again Harris declined.
He said, "It's still nightly. You're still coming up with the same content and now you're just getting bitter that no one's watching it."
While Moonves and fellow CBS executives have already chosen Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman come next year (15), Harris told the boss that he would prefer to host a weekly variety show for the network.
He added, "I think if it's weekly and people really want to see it - and you trust that there's a lot of really great s**t on there - then you're going to get the guests to want to come on your thing.
"A weekly thing, you'd have more time to prep for stuff. You could do pre-taped stuff that would be really exciting, you could flesh it out a little bit more and have more acts."
Harris is currently taking a brief break from TV to star on Broadway's Hedwig and the Angry Inch, for which he was recently nominated for his first Tony Award.
Piers Morgan has lashed out at Larry King after the former talk show host branded it a "mistake" to hire the British journalist as his replacement. Morgan took over King's nightly interview programme on U.S. network CNN when the veteran stepped down in 2011, but the series was axed this year (14) due to declining ratings following Morgan's ill-advised anti-guns crusade.
King believes CNN bosses made an error recruiting Morgan in the first place, telling radio DJ Howard Stern on Wednesday (08May14), "I thought they made a mistake in the Piers hire. I thought it was a mistake, one, to hire a Britisher (sic) in prime time and, two, I thought that he made himself too much part of the show."
Now Morgan has responded to the comments, firing back at King in a series of terse messages on Twitter.com.
He writes, "Hey Larry... you don't need to KEEP b**ching about me. It's over. Relax... And FYI (for your information)... there is no such word as 'Britisher'. But then research & facts were never your strong point were they, Brooklyner?
"Always tried to be respectful to @kingsthings - but he's been a constant poisonous twerp towards me for 3 years and I'm bored with it. As for our respective egos, one of us changed his name legally to 'King' and it wasn't me. So get over yourself @kingsthings. Why should I show any respect to @kingsthings any more when he has shown zero to me? Game on, Brooklyner."
Troubled pop star Justin Bieber has hit back at Seth Rogen after the actor blasted his behaviour during a radio interview. The Knocked Up star has taken aim the singer on a numerous occasions, including in January (14) when Rogen called him a "piece of s**t" on Twitter.com.
Speaking to radio DJ Howard Stern on Monday (05May14), Rogen defended his criticisms, saying, "I met him a few times. He's a good example of someone who you meet, who you think you are going to hate, then you get to hate him. You meet him and he lives up to every one of your expectations." Rogen recalled their first meeting backstage at a German talk show when Bieber requested to meet him but acted rudely when they were introduced.
The actor adds, "(I thought) What the f**k, I don't want to meet you! Don't act all nonplussed to meet me. I didn't want to meet you. I was like, 'He's a little bit of a motherf***er. Whatever. He's a bit of a d**k.'"
Bieber has now hit back at Rogen on Twitter, writing on Thursday (08May14), "Seth Rogan (sic) sorry I didn't bow down when I asked 2 (to) meet u (you) was probably a bit shy and didn't want to be over the top but still. Love ur (your) movies."