You can call off the search for your old bandana, because there won't be any Guns N' Roses reunion this weekend. Since it was announced in February that the band would be inducted this year along with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, and Donovan, there's been intense speculation that its original members may appear together for the first time since 1993. However, Axl Rose has nixed that idea, declining the induction in a lengthy open letter to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
After Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler left the band in the mid-'90s, Rose reformed Guns N' Roses with an all new lineup and spent years working on the 2008 flop Chinese Democracy. Rose has continued touring with the new incarnation of Guns N' Roses and rumor has it that the ever-controversial rocker is dating Lana Del Ray (they've yet to comment on their relationship).
Apparently, Rose was put off by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame choosing to honor the Appetite for Destruction-era bandmates, rather than their current lineup. In his letter, he says he will "respectfully decline" his invitation to Saturday's ceremony, adding, "I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf." He also explains that while former members have occasionally appeared with Guns N' Roses, there will never be a reunion (though fans will probably never stop asking for one).
Here's Rose's letter in full:
To: The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern,
When the nominations for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame were first announced I had mixed emotions but, in an effort to be positive, wanting to make the most of things for the fans and with their enthusiasm, I was honored, excited and hoped that somehow this would be a good thing. Of course I realized as things stood, if Guns N' Roses were to be inducted it'd be somewhat of a complicated or awkward situation.
Since then we've listened to fans, talked with members of the board of the Hall Of Fame, communicated with and read various public comments and jabs from former members of Guns N' Roses, had discussions with the president of the Hall Of Fame, read various press (some legit, some contrived) and read other artists' comments weighing in publicly on Guns and the Hall with their thoughts.
Under the circumstances I feel we've been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out. Taking into consideration the history of Guns N' Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in "our" induction (that for the record are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make), and how (albeit no easy task) those involved with the Hall have handled things... no offense meant to anyone but the Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony doesn't appear to be somewhere I'm actually wanted or respected.
For the record, I would not begrudge anyone from Guns their accomplishments or recognition for such. Neither I or anyone in my camp has made any requests or demands of the Hall Of Fame. It's their show not mine.
That said, I won't be attending The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction 2012 Ceremony and I respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N' Roses to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.
I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf. Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of "Guns N' Roses".
This decision is personal. This letter is to help clarify things from my and my camp's perspective. Neither is meant to offend, attack or condemn. Though unfortunately I'm sure there will be those who take offense (God knows how long I'll have to contend with the fallout), I certainly don't intend to disappoint anyone, especially the fans, with this decision. Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario all the way around.
In regard to a reunion of any kind of either the Appetite or Illusion lineups, I've publicly made myself more than clear. Nothing's changed.
The only reason, at this point, under the circumstances, in my opinion whether under the guise of "for the fans" or whatever justification of the moment, for anyone to continue to ask, suggest or demand a reunion are misguided attempts to distract from our efforts with our current lineup of myself, Dizzy Reed, Tommy Stinson, Frank Ferrer, Richard Fortus, Chris Pitman, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and DJ Ashba.
Izzy came out with us a few times back in '06 and I invited him to join us at our LA Forum show last year. Steven was at our show at the Hard Rock, later in '06 in Las Vegas, where I invited him to our after-party and was rewarded with his subsequent interviews filled with reunion lies. Lesson learned. Duff joined us in 2010 and again in '11 along with his band, Loaded, opening in Seattle and Vancouver. For me, with the exception of Izzy or Duff joining us on stage if they were so inclined somewhere in the future for a song or two, that's enough.
There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities. Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion.
Maybe if it were you it'd be different. Maybe you'd do it for this reason or that. Peace, whatever. I love our band now. We're there for each other when the going get's rough. We love our fans and work to give them every ounce of energy and heart we can.
So let sleeping dogs lie or lying dogs sleep or whatever. Time to move on. People get divorced. Life doesn't owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another's, or in this case several others', expense.
But hey if ya gotta then maybe we can get the "no show, grandstanding, publicity stunt, disrespectful, he doesn't care about the fans" crap out of the way as quickly as we can and let's move on. No one's taking the ball and going home. Don't get it twisted. For more than a decade and a half we've endured the double standards, the greed of this industry and the ever present seemingly limitless supply of wannabes and unscrupulous, irresponsible media types. Not to imply anything in this particular circumstance, but from my perspective in regard to both the Hall and a reunion, the ball's never been in our court.
In closing, regardless of this decision and as hard to believe or as ironic as it may seem, I'd like to sincerely thank the board for their nomination and their votes for Guns' induction. More importantly I'd like to thank the fans for being there over the years, making any success we've had possible and for enjoying and supporting Guns N' Roses music.
I wish the Hall a great show, congratulations to all the other artists being inducted and to our fans we look forward to seeing you on tour!!
P.S. RIP Armand, Long Live ABC III
Lana Del Rey Lands 'Vogue' Cover, Doesn't Want to Write Another Album
Axl Rose Found! By Stalker?!?
Guns N' Roses Cancels European Tour
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has disappointed fans by banning any copies of
the boy wizard novels from being published online in e-book form.
The multi-millionairess' unpopular decision was sparked by the problems
caused by pirate versions of the Potter releases, which appeared on the
internet without her permission last month.
Neil Blair, a lawyer with Rowling's literary agency, explains, "This has not
been an area that we have sought to license. We monitor the internet and take
But experts are convinced the magical Potter saga would be a smash hit in
Nicholas Bogaty, director of the Open Ebook Forum, says, "I'm sure it would
be a very big book very quickly and would probably serve as a terrific
marketing vehicle to get people to buy the print book."
Barbara Marcus, president of the children's books division of Rowling's U.S.
publisher, Scholastic Inc., counters, "I don't think that there is a cool enough
or interesting enough hardware to get the kids engaged.
"One of the fantasies I had was of kids walking around, without backpacks, and
somebody would say, 'You have to read Of Mice And Men and The Red Badge of
Courage. Here are the e-books.' That fantasy hasn't happened."
Rowling's latest Harry Potter adventure, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood
Prince, is released on July 16.
Article Copyright World Entertainment News Network All Rights Reserved.