British actor Elliott Tittensor is facing a pay out of up to $480,000 (£300,000) after a judge ruled against him in a legal battle over a 2010 bust-up. The 25-year-old star, famed for his role in U.K. sitcom Shameless, was sued by trainee plumber Oliver Flint over allegations the actor hit him with his car in London during an argument, leaving him with brain damage and blind in one eye.
Tittensor claimed he had acted in self-defence, but a judge at London's High Court has ruled in Flint's favour and criticised the actor for his behaviour.
Mr Justice Edis told the court, "(It was) a loutish shouting match in a public street between two men who were behaving badly... Mr Tittensor, on my findings in these proceedings, was guilty of a serious criminal offence... (He was) primarily motivated by anger... His conduct was far beyond what is acceptable as a response to what Flint did to him."
Tittensor's then-girlfriend, Kaya Scodelario, who stars in the next Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, took the stand during the court battle, and the judge praised her "impressive and clear-thinking" testimony.
Flint's battery claim against Tittensor has been upheld and the star now faces paying out substantial damages as well as legal costs.
He was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after the incident, and was later charged with driving without insurance and fined $1,200 (£750).
Actor Anthony Mackie has been ordered to complete an alcohol awareness programme after he was convicted of driving while impaired (DWI). The charge dates back to 2013, when the Captain America: The Winter Soldier star was pulled over by police in Harlem, New York.
The officers smelled alcohol on his breath and noticed his bloodshot eyes and escorted him to a local station for booking.
He stood trial at Manhattan Criminal Court on Friday (20Feb15), and was convicted by Judge Kevin McGrath after hearing testimony from three police witnesses.
Mackie, who declined to testify, shook his head in disappointment as the verdict was announced later on Friday, but thanked the judge for presiding over a fair trial.
He said, "Thank you, your honour, for the opportunity. Thank you for listening to the case and coming up with a fair conclusion."
The actor, 36, was also banned from driving in New York City for 90 days and ordered to pay fines.
He was granted permission to undergo the drink-driving counselling programme in his native Louisiana, reports the New York Daily News.
A former classmate of rocker Ian Brown has addressed a court to challenge the Stone Roses star's testimony in the trial of U.K. TV weatherman Fred Talbot. Talbot is fighting 10 counts of indecent assault dating from the 1960s to the 1980s, when he taught biology at Altrincham Grammar School for Boys in Greater Manchester, England, where Brown was a pupil.
The singer, who is not among Talbot's accusers, took the stand in court last month (Jan15) to testify that Talbot made his class watch adult films during lessons and encouraged students to masturbate.
Graham Ford, who attended Talbot's classes alongside Brown, has now challenged the star's claims and told the court their teacher addressed sex education in a "professional" way.
Speaking to Manchester's Minshull Street Crown Court via a video link from his home in Ohio, Ford said, "I sat next to Ian Brown in those biology classes. He was introverted and quite shy then... In our first year Mr. Talbot taught us the facts of life in a very professional, calm and respectful way."
When asked whether the boys were instructed to perform sex acts at home, Ford responded, "No, not at all."
He also denied pupils were shown adult films in class, adding, "It never happened and I never heard any other pupils talk about such a lesson. Nothing at all. It was a film about childbirth."
Talbot, 65, denies all 10 counts of indecent assault.
The trial continues.
Rapper/actor Ludacris has been granted primary custody of his 13-month-old lovechild. The Area Codes hitmaker, real name Christopher Bridges, challenged his former lover Tamika Fuller for full custody of little Cai last year (14), after he was ordered to hand over child support payments.
The case went to trial and during Fuller's testimony, she claimed Ludacris' request had come as a surprise because he had allegedly tried to convince her to have an abortion.
She told the court the hip-hop star gave her more than $900 (£563) to cover the cost of the termination, while he also reportedly promised to pay her $10,000 (£6,250) and buy her a new home if she went through with the procedure.
Ludacris fought back, insisting her comments were damaging to his reputation, and insisted he would provide a better environment for their daughter.
The judge presiding over the case has since ruled in Ludacris' favour, granting him full custody of the tot.
The rapper celebrated the news in a statement issued to People.com, which reads: "After review of all the evidence, the testimony of the witnesses, the report of the guardian ad litem (for the suit), and the claims made throughout this entire case, I am gratified that the judge found me to be the most fit and proper parent to have primary physical custody of our beautiful daughter."
Ludacris will care for Cai with his new wife, Eudoxie Mbouguiengue, who he proposed to on Christmas Eve (24Dec14) and wed hours later.
He is also father to a teenage girl, named Karma, from a previous relationship.
Ludacris' bid to gain full custody of his lovechild has been dealt a blow after the baby's mother accused the rapper of offering her $10,000 (£6,250) to have an abortion. Tamika Fuller conceived baby daughter Cai during a fling with the Area Codes hitmaker in 2013 and she has been caring for the child since giving birth in December of that year.
Ludacris was slapped with a child support order early last year (14), but he responded by filing his own legal papers in a U.S. court, seeking custody of the kid.
The case went to trial this week (begs26Jan15) and during her testimony, Fuller revealed the hip-hop star's custody request had come as a surprise, because he reportedly didn't want the child in the first place.
Fuller claimed Ludacris, real name Christopher Bridges, was so upset, he cried - and then urged her to terminate the pregnancy over fears it would "ruin his life".
Recalling the conversation in court, she said, "He was not happy. He cried... He did say, 'This isn't something that we planned. Let's move forward and let's get an abortion. The baby is not gonna have a family; the baby is not gonna be with a mother and a father in the same house.' It was just all bad, it would ruin his life and ruin his career."
Fuller alleges the rapper/actor "never changed his mind" about the abortion and reportedly gave her the funds to go through with the procedure - and then promised to hand over more cash and set her up with a new home if she followed through with the termination, reports TMZ.com.
She continued, "He gave me the money for an abortion actually. It was $900 and some change... I didn't want to take his money at the time because I did not know if that was something that I was going to do...
"He said, 'If you take it, later I'll give you more', and I didn't want that from him."
Ludacris, who proposed to and wed his on/off girlfriend Eudoxie Mbouguiengue on Christmas Eve (24Dec14), is expected to respond to the allegations when he takes the stand later in the trial.
Kanye West was once arrested and charged with stealing from an office supply store, but insists it was all a case of mistaken identity after he was racially profiled by Illinois police. The Stronger hitmaker made the revelation during his deposition as part of a legal battle with photographer Daniel Ramos, who is suing the star over a scuffle at Los Angeles International Airport in 2013.
During his latest testimony, obtained by TMZ.com, West recalled a previous run-in with the law back in 2000, when he was a rising producer. He claims his braided hair landed him in trouble with cops who were seeking a black male with a similar hairstyle.
He said, "I was racially-profiled for having a white T-shirt and braids...
"(It was) a (case of) mistaken identity for stealing some printers from OfficeMax after I was a platinum producer."
The rapper/producer previously testified that he was in an emotional state at the time of the bust-up with Ramos as he had just found out his grandfather was seriously ill.
West was convicted of battery for attacking Ramos, but insists he did not mean to hurt the snapper. He was sentenced to two years of probation, anger management sessions, and 250 hours of community service.
The civil lawsuit continues.
Singer/actor Rick Springfield has won big in a civil injury lawsuit after a New York judge cleared him of any wrongdoing at a concert in 2004. Vicki Calcagno launched legal action against the Jessie's Girl hitmaker in 2007 amid allegations she suffered "serious, disabling and permanent injuries" after Springfield allegedly fell on her during a gig at the New York State Fair in 2004.
A mistrial was declared in 2013, when a new witness emerged, and a retrial kicked off in New York Supreme Court earlier this week (begs12Jan15).
Springfield broke down in tears as he gave his testimony on Tuesday (13Jan15), accusing Calcagno's lawyer, Kenneth Goldblatt, of manipulating the story.
Jurors also heard evidence from the new witness, fellow concert-goer Penny Anne Nolin, who revealed she had also been knocked down by Springfield at the same gig, but she confessed she had not been hurt in the incident and did not see Calcagno fall.
The jury began deliberations on Friday morning (16Jan15) and took just an hour to decide Springfield was not liable for any damages.
Speaking after the ruling, Springfield told reporters: "I'm incredibly relieved. Results like this are positive for everybody... There's too many lawsuits in this country.
"It's been pretty unbelievable. We could have settled very easily. But I will not do that, especially when I know I'm in the right. It sets a bad precedent."
Veteran singer/actor Rick Springfield broke down in tears in a New York court on Tuesday (13Jan15) as he gave his testimony in an injury lawsuit retrial. Vicki Calcagno filed suit against the Jessie's Girl hitmaker in 2007 over claims she had suffered "serious, disabling and permanent injuries" after he allegedly fell on her during a gig at the New York State Fair in 2004.
A judge declared the case a mistrial in 2013, when a new witness emerged, but the suit returned to the docket list this week and a retrial kicked off in New York Supreme Court on Tuesday.
The 65-year-old star was called to the stand to give his side of the story, and he became emotional as he was grilled by Calcagno's lawyer, Kenneth Goldblatt.
During his testimony, Springfield accused Calcagno's legal representative of manipulating the story, saying, "I know and I'm here to tell the truth, I see you're trying to twist things to make them a certain way" - an accusation the lawyer denied.
Jurors also heard evidence from the new witness, fellow concert-goer Penny Anne Nolin, who revealed she had also been knocked down by Springfield at the same gig. She insisted she had not been hurt in the incident and revealed she did not see Calcagno fall.
Springfield is due to return to the witness stand later on Wednesday (14Jan15).
Actor Jude Law tried to convince his ex-lover Sienna Miller to pull out of giving evidence in a high profile British court case after he received a ferocious grilling in the witness box by lawyers. The two Hollywood stars were among the victims of the U.K.'s phone hacking scandal who were asked to testify at the trial of Rupert Murdoch's former newspaper bosses Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson over the furore last year (14).
The pair's evidence provided sensational headlines as it emerged in court that Miller, during her relationship with Law, had left a voicemail message on 007 hunk Daniel Craig's cell phone telling him: "I love you."
Now Miller has revealed she spoke to Law after he had finished giving his evidence in the trial, and he urged her to wriggle out of testifying.
She tells The Observer Magazine, "We spoke after Jude had done his and he said: 'Do not do it. Get out of it.' And I couldn't."
Referring to her voicemail message for Craig, she adds, "Somehow what came out of that was that I'd been having these affairs. Which was not the case. And suddenly Jude and I were on the cover of the newspaper again. And the timeline was all off. You know, it was just horrible to be back there.
"It was handled really badly. They wheeled people out for the show. And I got thrown under the bus a bit. It reminded people of things I didn't want to remind them of..."
Brooks, former chief executive of News International, was cleared of all charges. Coulson, who was editor of now-defunct U.K. tabloid News of the World during much of the period it was involved in phone hacking, was found guilty of conspiracy to hack phones and sentenced to 18 months in prison.
Actress Laverne Cox has slammed the police officer who shot and killed teenager Michael Brown in August (14), insisting he showed no humanity in his first TV interview since a grand jury opted not to indict him. Officer Darren Wilson sat down with U.S. newsman George Stephanopoulos on Tuesday (25Nov14) following the ruling in Ferguson, Missouri on Monday night (24Nov14), which sparked a series of violent protests across America.
In the interview, Wilson expressed his "conscience is clear" because he was just doing his job.
While he did apologise for the loss of life, the Orange is the New Black star feels he could have showed more empathy.
In a segment on U.S. chat show The View on Wednesday (26Nov14), the guest co-host said, "It's deeply painful for me to watch that and this moment for our nation is a deeply painful one. We have yet again another young black person killed in the street without accountability. That is a deeply painful thing and I think it is important for us to create spaces where we can feel that pain and we can heal from that pain.
"Watching the interview, it was hard for me because we understand that a lot of his account of what happened doesn't match with the physical evidence that we do have and I think too the fact that a young person is dead, there didn't seem to be any sense of humanity in him that a person has been lost...
"Even if you feel like the killing is justified, where is the sense of that a life has been lost, that a family has lost their child? I didn't see any sense of humanity there and then I can't help but think of the grand jury testimony when he said that this person had a demon face coming towards him (during the confrontation). So we see the literal demonisation of another young black person by this police officer."
Host Whoopi Goldberg added, "The crappiest part about all of this is that the kid is still dead. For me, I needed a little more compassion, a little more emotion saying, 'I never used my gun before, I never wanted this to happen, this is the last thing that was on my mind...'"
Wilson claims he pulled his gun and shot Brown after the 18 year old started beating him during a shoplifting investigation.
vice president of production and technical operations
A chronological trip through the life and career of some of today's popular musical artists through videos and interviews. Using their videos as timelines, the program chronicles how the artists make their music, how their lives change and how they cope. Each half-hour episode features one artist and his/her story.