Fallen pop star Tulisa Contostavlos has been convicted of punching a blogger during a hate-fuelled attack at a music festival. The former N-Dubz singer, who was cleared on Monday (21Jul14) of brokering a cocaine deal after inconsistencies were found in witness testimony, was found guilty of assault at a court hearing in London on Friday (25Jul14).
She was fined $340 (£200) and ordered to pay $4,590 (£2,700) in court costs. She must also hand the victim $170 (£100) in compensation and a $34 (£20) victim surcharge, making a total payment of $5,134 (£3,020).
The star, who enjoyed two seasons as a judge on Britain's The X Factor, punched showbiz writer Vas Morgan in the face at V Festival in Chelmsford, England in August, 2013, leaving him with a swollen left eye.
Contostavlos had denied hitting Morgan, claiming they had a verbal disagreement after a long-running spat, but a district judge dismissed her account and convicted her of assault.
The disgraced pop star's personal assistant Gareth Varey was cleared of using threatening behaviour during the incident.
Simon Cowell has received an apology from Tulisa Contostavlos' personal assistant who sensationally alleged the music mogul is secretly gay. The former N-Dubz singer's associate Gareth Varey was caught on tape telling an undercover journalist that he knew several men who have slept with The X Factor boss.
The footage was played to a jury in London last week (ends20Jul14) during Contostavlos' trial for brokering a cocaine deal, prompting Cowell to issue a statement denying the claim and insisting he has no reason to hide his sexuality.
Now Varey has confessed the statement was untrue and claims he was drunk and trying to impress the reporter, Mazher Mahmood.
In a statement, Varey says, "On 10 May 2013 in the course of seeking to entrap Tulisa, Mazher Mahmood supplied Tulisa, me and others with a lot of alcohol... I can no longer recall all of the details of that evening but I have listened to the recording made by Mahmood. I was clearly very drunk.
"At some point and utterly out of the blue Mahmood asked me if Simon Cowell was gay. I said he was. This is not true. I do not know why I said it, but assume it is because I was so drunk and felt that I was giving Mahmood the type of information he was seeking. I am very sorry for this."
Contostavlos was cleared of being concerned in the supply of cocaine over inconsistencies in Mahmood's evidence.
Simon Cowell has spoken out to insist rumours he is gay are untrue following extraordinary allegations in a London court that he has slept with several men.
A jury at Southwark Crown Court heard the sensational claim last week (ends20Jul4) during the trial of former N-Dubz singer Tulisa Contostavlos for brokering a cocaine deal for an undercover journalist.
That case collapsed on Monday (21Jul13) and the pop star was cleared of the charge, and Cowell has subsequently issued a statement addressing allegations heard by the jury.
Secretly-filmed footage contained a clip of Contostavlos' personal assistant Gareth Varey telling the reporter that Cowell is homosexual and has slept with several of Varey's friends.
In a statement, a representative for The X Factor boss says, "Simon was referred to during the trial without forewarning, resulting in widespread media coverage of untrue claims regarding his private life."
"In 2014 the question of whether someone is or is not gay is antiquated. (As it happens he isn't, though if he were, he would simply have said so). "However, the issue was the false suggestion made by Mr. Varey that Simon - who is renowned for his honesty and candidness - had thus not been truthful in the public arena and this is what we have been obliged to clarify."
Lady Gaga's former personal assistant is set to lift the lid on life with the superstar in a new tell-all book.
The Poker Face hitmaker endured a lengthy legal battle with Jennifer O'Neill after she sued the singer for allegedly failing to pay her overtime money.
The lawsuit, which was settled out of court last year (13), hit headlines when O'Neill testified that she was forced to sleep in the same bed as the singer, and was expected to be available to work every hour of the day.
Gaga hit back in a foul-mouthed deposition, branding her former assistant a "f**king hood rat" and accusing her of being bad at her job because she left the singer to carry her own luggage and unpack her own bags.
O'Neill has now landed a book deal with publishers at Atria Books and is writing a tell-all tome titled Fame Monster, a reference to Gaga's album of the same name.
Editors of New York Post gossip column Page Six report the book focuses on her time working for the singer between 2009 and 2011, and the deal is worth up to $1 million (£588,235).
TV funnyman Tracy Morgan is suing U.S. retail giant Walmart following the car crash last month (Jun14) that left him in intensive care. Walmart truck driver Kevin Roper is accused of falling asleep at the wheel and causing a multi-vehicle accident when he slammed into the back of Morgan's limousine in New Jersey, killing Morgan's colleague James 'Jimmy Mack' McNair and hospitalising several others.
The lawsuit, filed in New Jersey on Thursday (10Jul14), alleges the company should have known Roper had been awake for more than 24 hours and that his drive from Georgia, where he lives, to work in Delaware was "unreasonable".
The suit reads, "Wal-Mart was careless and negligent in the ownership and operation of its motor vehicle, which caused Mr. Morgan to suffer severe personal injuries. As a direct and proximate result of said collision, Mr. Morgan was caused to sustain severe painful bodily injuries, including but not limited to multiple fractures which required multiple surgeries, extensive medical treatment and will require significant physical rehabilitation."
The plaintiffs, which also include Morgan's assistant Jeffrey Millea and comedian Ardie Fuqua, who were also injured in the crash, are seeking damages, legal fees, and pre- and post-judgment interest.
The 30 Rock star was moved to a rehabilitation facility last month (Jun14) after his condition was upgraded from critical to fair.
Roper has pleaded not guilty to charges of vehicular homicide and assault by auto.
Supplied by WENN
Lindsay Lohan is officially set to make her West End debut in a new production of satirical drama Speed-The-Plow.
The Mean Girls star previously revealed she was in the running to tackle the role of Karen in the David Mamet play, and now her part has been confirmed - she will tread the boards at London's Playhouse Theatre from 24 September to 29 November (14).
Lohan recently discussed the "potential" job with The New York Times, saying, "It's the first time I've done a stage play or anything like that. I'm nervous but I'm excited." Other casting details have yet to be revealed, but director Lindsay Posner will take charge of the revival for the Theatre Royal Bath.
Madonna previously played Karen in a Broadway revival of Speed-The-Plow in 1988. Lohan will be hoping her London stage debut will give her acting career the boost it desperately needs after overcoming a series of personal issues and legal troubles, which resulted in a court-ordered spell in rehab last year (13).
Former newspaper boss Rebekah Brooks has been sensationally cleared of all charges relating to the high-profile phone-hacking trial in London. The ex-News International chief executive, and former editor of Britain's The Sun and News of the World newspapers, was found not guilty of four charges, including conspiracy to intercept communications, perverting the course of justice and conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office.
Meanwhile, Andy Coulson, another former editor of now-defunct tabloid News of the World, was found guilty on a charge of conspiracy to intercept communications.
Brooks' husband Charlie Brooks was found not guilty of perverting the course of justice, while her personal assistant Cheryl Carter was also cleared of the same charge.
News International's former head of security Mark Hanna was cleared of concealing computers, while the News of the World's former managing editor Stuart Kuttner was found not guilty of conspiracy to intercept communications.
The jury is still deliberating two further charges against Coulson and another against the News of the World's former royal editor Clive Goodman.
Stars including Hugh Grant, Jude Law, Sienna Miller and Steve Coogan were among the high-profile victims of the News of the World's hacking scandal. The publication was closed by Rupert Murdoch in 2011.
Veteran Kiss star Gene Simmons is set to share the secrets to his business success in a new self-help book. The heavy rocker is working on Me, Inc.: Build An Army of One, Unleash Your Inner Rock God, Win in Life and Business in a bid to share lessons learned on his road to success and help aspiring entrepreneurs turn their ideas into money-making machines.
Describing Simmons as a "marketing and finance wizard" and "the quintessential self-made man", a statement from executives at HarperCollins Publishers reads: "KISS did not become one of the most successful rock bands in history by accident.
"Long before they first took the stage, Gene Simmons and (bandmate) Paul Stanley had a clear-cut operating plan for their business. Over the past forty years, KISS has sold over 100 million CDs and DVDs worldwide and manages over 3,000 licensed merchandise items.
"In addition to KISS, Simmons' lucrative ventures include two hit reality shows, a professional sports team, a restaurant chain, and a record company. A recipient of the Forbes lifetime achievement award, this brilliant executive runs all of his businesses on his own - no personal assistant, few handlers, and as little red tape as possible."
The book is due for release later this year (14).
Simmons is already an established author - he teamed up with Stanley for the 2012 release Nothin' To Lose to tell the story of the group's formation back in 1973.
British pop star Tulisa Contostavlos has accused a celebrity blogger of launching a two-year vendetta against her after she had him thrown out of a nightclub. The former N-Dubz singer took the stand at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court in England on Tuesday (20May14), where she is on trial for allegedly assaulting Vas Morgan at the V Festival in Essex, England in August last year (13).
Morgan claims Contostavlos hit him in the eye, but the singer is adamant she never got physical with him during the confrontation, which she compared to a "playground slanging match".
When asked whether she punched Morgan, she told the court, "Most definitely not," adding, "I was calm and stating the facts. I didn't want him following me... (He was) very aggressive and intimidating... I did feel he could attack me at any moment because of his level of aggression. He seemed to be losing it... I could literally compare it to (a) playground slanging match.
"I have not laid a finger on him. This is a combination of a publicity stunt and a vendetta from him. I can't believe it's been taken to this point and I'm standing here today."
Contostavlos, 25, claims Morgan has disliked her since she had him removed from the VIP section of a London nightclub in 2011, describing his subsequent actions as "mean", and she also revealed she regularly faces nasty comments from members of the public, saying, "On a weekly basis I come across people who hurl abuse or want to start a fight."
The singer's personal assistant Gareth Varey also took the stand on Tuesday, claiming Morgan had hurled insults at the singer during the bust-up.
He told the court, "I heard the words 'You're a nobody, you're a s**g'. All kinds of vile comments were being said."
Varey also admitted in court that he received an official police caution last year (13) after emailing the personal assistant of a journalist with the message: "I'm going to kill you b**ch."
Contostavlos denies one charge of assault, and Varey denies using threatening behaviour.
The trial continues.
British pop star Tulisa Contostavlos allegedly assaulted a celebrity blogger after threatening him with her connections to tough "street" characters, a court heard on Monday (19May14). The former N-Dubz singer is accused of attacking celebrity blogger Vas Morgan at the V Festival in Essex, England in August last year (13).
A jury at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court in England heard on Monday how Contostavlos was angry and confrontational in the VIP section at the festival and threatened Morgan with her connections, saying that she "knew people from the streets" and was worth $16 million (£10 million).
She allegedly screamed at the blogger before punching him, leaving him with a swollen, puffy left eye.
It was alleged Contostavlos held a grudge against Morgan because he had published her sex tape on his website in 2012.
Defence lawyer James Dein accused Morgan of lying about the incident and suggested he had been stalking the singer.
Contostavlos denies one charge of assault, and her personal assistant Gareth Varey denies using threatening behaviour.
The trial continues.