E.L. James‘ massively popular BDSM fanfic novel Fifty Shades of Grey has already been the inspiration for music playlists, lingerie and perfume lines, artistic renderings, and some unfortunate real-life crimes, so it was only a matter of time before it became a theme for an episode of Law & Order. KA-CHUNG!
As E! reported earlier this week, an upcoming episode of Law & Order: SVU (titled “25 Acts,” wink wink, nudge nudge) will feature Anna Chlumsky as “an E.L. James-esque character, described as the author of a ‘wildly successful S&M romance novel called 25 Acts.’ After a famous television host (Roger Bart) forces himself on her, Benson (Mariska Hargitay) and Rollins (Kelli Giddish) try to convince her to press charges. While digging deeper into the author’s past, the team uncovers a secret that could threaten to destroy her career”.
While the Law & Order sagas are known for pulling stories from headlines as a basis for episodes, there’s no reason why other shows can’t jump on the unstoppable “mommy porn” bandwagon that is Fifty Shades. Saturday Night Live has already had their fun with the Fifty Shades phenomenon (and presumably South Park will next season), but we’ve come up with some ways other programs can incorporate the escapades of Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele into their shows.
– (Christian) Grey’s Anatomy: A wealthy Seattle business tycoon finds himself in the emergency room after he crashed his helicopter thanks to being distracted by his girlfriend’s incessant sex contract negotiations, leaving the fate of his most prized possession (his, er, anatomy, hanging in the balance). Hey, just about everything else has happened at Seattle Grace, why not this?
– Project Runway: Imagine all the amazing possibilities for an S&M-inspired challenge. (Leather! Whips! Chains!) Even better, imagine the inevitably priceless looks on Tim Gunn‘s face in the workroom and the inane descriptions Michael Kors would come up with for the sexy, potentially tacky outfits on the runway. Plus, host Heidi Klum could update her classic sign-off from “Auf Wiedershen” to “Laters, baby”.
– Happy Endings: Let’s be real, Brad (Damon Wayans, Jr.) and Jane (Eliza Coupe) already must have a pretty crazy and adventurous sex life. But imagine the gang’s horror when they discover the dynamic duo installed their own Red Room of Pain. They already have a safe word!
– Glee: I know, I know, this is a show catered towards a younger audience. But keep in mind, this is a show that not only devoted an entire musical sequence to losing one’s virginity, but one that makes a big push for tolerance of sexuality. Glee somehow hasn’t covered Madonna‘s “Erotica” or Rihanna‘s “S&M” yet, so a Fifty Shades tribute episode could finally provide them with that opportunity.
– How I Met Your Mother: At an S&M club. Sorry, kids.
What are some other shows you think should get in on the Fifty Shades act? Maybe The Vampire Diaries should introduce a BDSM subplot to give Ian Somerhalder some practice as Christian Grey? Share your ideas in the comments section below.
The Fifty Shades-inspired episode of Law & Order: SVU airs on Wednesday, October 10 at 9 PM ET on NBC.
[Photo credit: NBC]