After 22 seasons of catwalks, photo shoots, makeovers, and many tears, America’s Next Top Model is coming to an end. Yes, we’re all going to miss watching runway hopefuls pose it out for a chance to win a jump start into the career of their dreams, but some of the things that have gone on behind-the-scenes are even more shocking than the weekly eliminations.
1. Contrary to popular belief of all reality shows, ANTM is not scripted at all. Everything you see organically happened.
2. While it seems like Tyra Banks is around all the time, the models only see her once a week.
3. In 2008, the top model hopefuls caused over $500,000 in damages to the $6 million dollar NYC Tribeca loft they were staying in.
4. Angelea Preston was eliminated from the All-Stars season because she used to be an escort. She later sued Tyra and the show.
5. Tyra does not have final say on who wins the competition. It isn’t always a unanimous decision. Majority rules!
6. Longtime judges Jay Manuel, J. Alexander and Nigel Barker were all fired from the show after it lost 1 million viewers between seasons 17 and 18.
8. In addition to no TV, Internet, or phones, contestants only get five minutes or so a week to make calls from the house line.
9. Confessionals are mandatory. Every night for 20-30 minutes everyone has to spill how they really feel on-camera.
“We became instant celebs, but had the portfolio of a rookie model. Even though we just were named ‘top’ our place in line at Fashion World was at the bottom.”