The news hit over the weekend that Cory Monteith, the 31-year-old star of Fox’s dramedy Glee, had died suddenly in Vancouver. Considering Monteith’s long history with drug abuse — he checked into rehab once at age 19 and then again this past March — fans were brought to speculate upon the role of narcotics in his unexpected passing. On Tuesday, the British Columbia Coroners Service confirmed these suspicions (via People), reporting that Monteith died as a result of mixed drug toxicity, the actor having used both heroin and alcohol.
The B.C. Coroners Service performed an autopsy and a toxicology test on Monday, leading to the newly publicized announcement. However, an official coroners report will be released following additional investigations.
In addition to their assessment of his physical state, authorities also added the following statement: “Mr. Monteith’s family has been made aware of the circumstances surrounding the death. On behalf of family members, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time.”