We all know Beyoncé is queen of the universe – and she’s also a feminist. With feminism being so hotly debated these days, having someone as powerful (and fabulous) as Bey leading the charge for women’s rights is incredibly significant. While she’s no Gloria Steinem, she does exemplify the modern feminist by defying any misconceptions about what feminism means.
1. She knows that girls run the world.
2. She supports other women.
Bey gave this necklace to Nicki Minaj at this year’s VMAs after Nicki recorded “Flawless (Remix)” with her.
3. She calls out society’s impossible beauty standards for women.
4. She doesn’t need a man to support her.
5. If you disrespect her, she will kick you to the curb.
To the left, to the left.
6. She created an anthem for single women everywhere.
Maybe you’ve heard of it.
7. She doesn’t hate men, though. She’s in a loving relationship with her husband Jay-Z.
8. But her husband doesn’t define her.
We love Bey and Jay, but we also love just Bey.
9. She owns her sexuality.
The “Partition” video pretty much says it all. It’s her body and she’s in control of it.
10. She loves being a mother to Blue Ivy.
Being one of the most powerful women in the world while also raising a daughter: Beyoncé can handle it.
11. She knows what she wants and doesn’t shy away from being in charge.
12. But she’s also vulnerable, and that’s not a sign of weakness.
13. She understands the importance of female friendships.
14. She draws attention to the feminist movement.
Her song “***Flawless” samples a TED Talk by writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, in which she states “We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls, ‘You can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful but not too successful, otherwise you will threaten the man.’” (You really should watch the whole speech).
15. Oh yeah, and there’s this:
From her spectacular VMA performance.
In conclusion, Beyoncé: ***Flawless. Fabulous. Feminist.