DarkMode/LightMode
Light Mode

Cliff Richard wins battle to discover source of sex crimes tip-off

Cliff Richard has won the right to find out how BBC reporters discovered he was the subject of a police sex crimes investigation.
On Tuesday (30May17) a British high court judge told bosses at the British broadcaster to provide the 76-year-old crooner with more information about how a journalist learned officers were probing historic sexual abuse allegations made against him.
The BBC broadcast footage of South Yorkshire Police officers’ 2014 raid on the musician’s home in Berkshire, England but the investigation was dropped last year (16) by officials at Britain’s Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
The Living Doll singer was never charged or arrested.
Cliff sued the BBC and the police force claiming he suffered depression, distress and humiliation following the broadcaster’s coverage of the allegations. Police bosses have settled his claim against them.
After hearing arguments from lawyers for the BBC and Cliff earlier this month (May17), Mr Justice Mann ruled that BBC executives must tell Cliff if the tip-off came from someone working on Operation Yewtree, Metropolitan Police officers’ inquiry into historic sexual abuse allegations.
According to Britain’s Daily Telegraph newspaper, the judge ruled BBC bosses must provide Cliff with a “proper answer” as to whether the information came from “within Operation Yewtree”.
BBC bosses have said they will “defend ourselves vigorously” and that they had reported the veteran star’s “full denial of the allegations at every stage”.
If Cliff is successful in his claim against the BBC, he could be awarded $1.3 million (£1 million) in damages plus legal costs.

- Advertisement -