Before The Hunger Games and Harry Potter, fantasy writer J.R.R. Tolkien captured the world’s imagination with The Lord of the Rings. LOTR inspired a lot of authors in some ways to create these worlds that we have grown to love. The reason why LOTR reminds you of your beloved Game of Thrones is because GoT George R.R. Martin was obsessed with Tolkien and his work which greatly influenced his writing. Here are some things that Lord of the Rings lovers are sick and tired of hearing, because Middle Earth is and will always be the blueprint to your 21st century fantasy franchises.
1. “If Dumbledore had to die, why does Gandalf get to live?”
Are you seriously asking this? First and foremost, the men are two entirely different wizards. Dumbledore knew Harry could press forward without him, but Frodo still needed Gandalf. And, if you’re that picky please note that J.K. Rowling has stated killing Dumbledore may have been a mistake.
2. “Gollum is the worst.”
Try and have an ounce of pity. Gollum was a victim of his circumstances. The ring ended up consuming him.
3. “Frodo should have just refused to go on the journey.”
So you’re saying you would have rather he just stayed in the Shire and watch the world crumble around him?
4. “It’s just like Game of Thrones.”
Yes, Game of Thrones is an amazing show because its creator George R.R. Martin was INSPIRED by Tolkien. However, GoT was written about 50 years after Lord of the Rings. So who copied who?
5. “Frodo should have kept the ring for himself.”
So he could turn out just like Gollum?
6. “The Uruk Hai die way too easily.”
So the war against Sauron and Saruman should have been even more difficult?!
7. “The elves should have stayed out of the war.”
It’s probably best that the only immortal beings didn’t let everyone else fend for themselves.
8. “The movies are too long.”
Guess what? They could have been even longer. The Lord of the Rings novel is full of details that wouldn’t fit inside the three films. Why do you think movie studios like to divide films in half nowadays?
9. “There’s just a lot of walking and barely any action.”
The second half of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is nearly two hours of war scenes.
10. “The talking trees are just absurd.”
It’s a fantasy world!
11. “How did Sauron lose the ring anyway?”
It was literally chopped from his hand. Anyone can loose something that way.
12. “Harry Potter is better.”
*Sigh* They are two completely different sagas.
13. “Aragorn had no real reason to renounce his title.”
Perhaps he didn’t want to deal with the sheer stress of being a ruler, would you?