Mellie (Bellamy Young) is probably the most interesting character on Scandal. Okay, before you start hating me let me give you some reasons for this. The fictional First Lady has been through so much in her personal life and professional life that you can’t help but root for her as much as Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington), if not more. That’s right, I said it! Here are 10 reasons why we root for Mrs. Mellie Grant.
1. Unlike Fitz who resents being President, all she wants is a chance to prove herself.
2. Her sarcasm about stupid, sexist etiquette is amazing.
3. She speaks so much truth on how our country treats the First Lady position.
4. Her breaking down after having to make an appearance after her son’s death was heartbreaking.
5. Her husband’s affair is a constant reminder that she hasn’t found “the one” yet. How hard must that be?
6. She deserves something good after picking up Fitz so many times.
7. And after all that Fitz’s father put her through…
8. When she doesn’t care she really commits and it’s funny.
9. She pushes her own needs aside to better her husband’s presidency.
10. We can see ourselves hanging out and having some chicken with Mellie. Olivia is not about getting her white outfits dirty.
Why do you root for Mellie? Tweet us your answers to the Twitter handles below!