You may have seen articles proclaiming Catastrophe to be one of the best romantic comedies on TV right now. And you know what? Those are articles are correct. Created by, written by and starring “The Funniest Man on Twitter” Rob Delaney and Irish actress Sharon Horgan, the show follows an American ad man on a business trip to London who has a one-week stand with an Irish schoolteacher. She ends up getting pregnant and he moves to London to be with her. Forget what you think you know about this plot convention – it’s better and more hilarious than you’d ever expect. The six-episode first season is currently streaming on Amazon Prime, so you should probably get on that.
1. Rob Delaney is even better on screen than he is on Twitter.
His tweets made him famous, but there’s only so much you can do in 140 characters.
2. It’s a rom-com that’s unpredictable.
3. The main characters actually like each other.
Yes, they’re basically strangers thrown together because of an unexpected pregnancy, but they’re actually pretty perfect for each other.
4. You’ll want to stock your closet with Sharon’s wardrobe like immediately.
Excited to see @SharonHorgan become a global fashion icon once America comes to grips with her Catastrophe wardrobe.
— rob delaney (@robdelaney) June 19, 2015
5. It has subtle, yet hilarious jokes like this:
Can Wes Anderson please make a movie called The Emancipation of Flyburton Crisp? Please?
6. There is an amazing guest appearance by Tobias Menzies.
If you’ve ever watched Outlander, you know that yes, he definitely IS a sadist.
7. It has perhaps the funniest marriage proposal ever seen on TV.
8. It’s only six episodes.
You’ll watch them all in a day and then be sad there wasn’t more. Good news though: Season two is happening!
Go binge-watch and then let us know what you think!