It’s the end of an era. After 14 seasons, the beloved Canadian teen drama Degrassi: The Next Generation (aka the show that gave us Drake) will be ending this summer. We’ve basically grown up with this show, so naturally we’re going to miss it – A LOT. Here are some things we’ll miss most.
1. Fearlessness when tackling real world issues:
You name it, Degrassi tackled it: Drugs, teen pregnancy, school shooting, rape, suicide, etc.
2. Relatable characters played by real teens:
3. Groundbreaking story lines:
Degrassi had a transgender character back in 2010 — the first transgender teen character ever to appear on a scripted TV show.
4. The fact that the show served as a launching pad for the likes of Drake (otherwise known as Aubrey Graham), Shenae Grimes and Nina Dobrev:
5. All of the love triangles/squares/pentagons:
Everyone’s dated everyone, basically.
6. The theme song and opening credits:
7. Mr. Simpson:
Good ol’ Mr. Simpson went from teacher to principal over the course of the series.
8. Our favorite Degrassi couples:
9. Degrassi’s bands:
Remember Hell Hath No Fury? Or Craig’s band, Downtown Sasquatch?
10. Surprising hookups:
Paige and Alex. Didn’t see that one coming!
11. The themed dances and proms:
Always a source of drama.
12. The friendships:
What will YOU miss most about Degrassi?