Derek is one of those shows where you always need a box of tissues handy. The Netflix show (in which Ricky Gervais sheds his cynical persona to play a simple, kind-hearted worker at an old folks’ home) is funny, but it regularly leaves us misty-eyed with its observations on life, death and basic human decency. If you’re not compelled to give someone a hug after watching, you pretty much have no soul. Here are some Derek moments that got us all emotional:
1. When Derek’s good friend Joan died.
When Derek cries, we all cry. And we were openly bawling during this scene.
2. When he had the best response to someone who suggested he get “tested.”
3. When they had to put Derek’s favorite dog down.
“If pets aren’t allowed in heaven, I don’t want to go there,” Derek says. “I’ll go where the pets are.” BRB, sobbing.
4. Whenever Derek shows his love for animals.
5. When Hannah headbutts a girl who was saying mean things about Derek.
Love the way Derek’s friends stick up for him.
6. When Derek goes on a date.
He “cooked” for her, and it was sweet.
7. When Derek reminded us that money isn’t everything.
8. When Derek encouraged his pal Kev to stop drinking.
Kev can be pretty gross, but we also feel bad for him.
9. Whenever Derek brings joy to the old people.
10. When he gives simple pieces of advice.
11. When he found his dad.
ALL OF THE FEELS.
12. Seeing how happy he gets over YouTube videos.
We can all learn a thing or two from Derek!
What parts of Derek made YOU get all emotional? Comment and let us know!