Shondaland is about to return and that means we are going to get more riveting story lines, and hopefully more take downs on the patriarchy. Shonda Rhimes has been putting awesome feminist lines into all her shows, but you might not have noticed because it can be pretty subtle. Well to show all of the awesome things her female characters have said here are 12 times the creator called out the patriarchy.
1. When Mellie pointed out how First Ladies are treated.
2. When Abby pointed out how feminism is easily swallowed when given by a man.
3. When Abby told Olivia that the whole “Prince Charming” narrative is a lie.
4. When Olivia called out the sexism behind the word “bitch.”
5. When Cristina stopped Meredith from allowing her husband to overshadow her.
6. When Cristina pointed out how “beautiful” is a lazy compliment for a woman.
7. When Ellis Grey talked about her amazing acceptance speech.
8. How men are taught and encouraged to be “takers.”
9. When Mellie talked about the double standard when it comes to cheating.
10. When Josie pointed out the underlying sexism in every day sayings.
11. When Abby talked about how women are often defined by the men in their lives.
12. When Sue refused to be anything other than sex positive and a woman.