1. It’s a timeless tale (as told by a cheek-pinching grandfather).
Sure, the grandson would have rather spent his sick day playing MLB on Nintendo, but that would have made for a way less amazing movie.
2. It contains one of the greatest movie lines of all time.
“As you wish…”
3. It’s a love story, an adventure tale and a comedy all in one.
Yes, it’s a “kissing book” but it also has fencing.
4. It’s Robin Wright‘s big breakout film.
In which Claire Underwood gets captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts. (Also, hair goals.)
5. Fezzick is pretty much the most likable character in Hollywood.
He rhymes and he only fights fair. He pretty much coined the phrase, “gentle giant”!
6. It taught us what the word “inconceivable” means.
…or at least what it doesn’t mean.
7. The film’s monsters are kind of legendary.
You just can’t forget about those shrieking eels or those ROUS’s, and don’t even get us started on the Pit of Despair!
8. It’s 100% cheesy and 100% quotable!
Because saying, “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” will never not be appropriate.
9. We all had the hots for Wesley.
Whether he was a poor farm boy or a mysterious pirate, he was a babe. As we wish, you say?
10. It had an all-star cast.
11. Wedding vows are now forever changed for us.
We’ve all secretly hoped someone would include the whole “dweam wivin a dweam” bit in a real-life ceremony.
12. It’s a sweet and simple tale.
At the end of the day, The Princess Bride is a tale of swashbuckling pirates, devious princes, miracle workers and–most importantly–true love.