Maggie Smith’s headstrong Dowager Countess is arguably the best thing about Downton Abbey. Her sassy quips and subtle digs make us wish she was the matriarch of our family. But we wouldn’t want to get caught on the other side of an argument with her. She’s never wrong, after all.
1. When confronted with an unfamiliar concept:
Every day’s a weekend for Lady Grantham. Oh, to be an aristocrat.
2. When being patronized:
You tell ’em, granny!
3. When faced with new technology:
Wonder what she would think of social media…
4. When contemplating how to handle a problematic person:
Because we’ve all thought the same thing at some point.
5. When musing on life:
6. How to not give a compliment:
7. How to diss your son when he’s dressed inappropriately:
8. When people’s thoughts get exhausting:
9. On avoiding people:
10. How to tell someone their attitude is beneath them:
11. On fashion:
12. Her thoughts on both men and women:
13. On dying:
Hear that, Mr. Pamuk?
14. On how appearances can be deceiving:
15. How to swiftly shut down any argument:
Consider yourself Dowager’d.
We want to hear YOUR favorite Lady Grantham lines! Tell us on Twitter and Facebook!