When we think of our childhood, we think of a simpler time. A time that makes us nostalgic for Capri Sun juice boxes, PBS Kids and the anticipation of the next Harry Potter book. However, as we all discover as we get older, everything isn’t always as sparkly and fun that it appears to be during our formative years. Here are 10 ghastly facts that will ruin your childhood.
1. Cinderella was actually violent AF!
Not that anyone should feel sympathy for Cinderella’s evil ass stepsisters, but in the Brothers Grimm version of the fairytale, one of the sisters actually cuts of her toes and heel in order to fit the glass slipper. Also, when the stepsisters and the evil stepmother attend Cinderella’s wedding they get their eyes pecked out by birds. WTF?!!
2. The original voice of Ducky in The Land Before Time series died before the movie was even released.
Judith Barsi who also voiced Anne-Marie in All Dogs Go to Heaven, lived a tragic childhood, she and her mother were abused horribly at the hands of her father. On July 25, 1988, when Judith was just 10-years old, her father shot her and her mother and then burned their bodies. He turned the gun on himself shortly thereafter.
3. The director of The Wizard of Oz was a Nazi sympathizer.
4. Speaking of The Wizard Of Oz, The Cowardly Lion’s costume is made of…actual lion.
Because MGM wanted Oz to look as realistic as possible, Bert Lahr wore a costume made of actual Lion hair….more than one costume was made.
5. Little Red Riding Hood legit ate her own granny.
Apparently, Little Red was actually hungry AF because in Charles Perrault’s original story she eats her own granny before climbing into her granny’s bed and getting devoured by the big bad wolf.
6. Flipper committed suicide.
We all know the horrific treatment that aquatic animals have had to endure for our entertainment. Back in the ’60s, Kathy, one of the dolphins that played Flipper killed herself because of the conditions she endured in captivity.
7. The Little Piggy didn’t exactly go to the market.
Our parents probably all recited the Little Piggy nursery rhyme to us, and they probably had no clue about the sinister meaning behind the innocent sounds nursery rhyme. Apparently, the piggies were being sent to the market to die…
8. Beloved author Roald Dahl was super anti-Semitic.
Like he was disgusting. In 1983 he told a reporter, “There’s a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity…I mean there is always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn’t just pick on them for no reason.” We didn’t like Matilda that much anyway SMH.
9. Hitler was obsessed with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Even though he never allowed the film to be released in Germany, Hitler was obsessed with the Disney princess… no surprise there, after all, she was the “fairest one of all.”
10. If you take a look at the Maurader’s Map in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban you might spot something X-rated.
Yup, that two people getting it on.