Serendipity is a top tier choice when it comes to cozy holiday romcoms. The “by chance” romance between Sara and Jonathan is beyond cute. It’s basically the stuff #relationshipgoals is made of. Here are some fun facts about the film that will make you love it even more.
3. Speaking of repeats in John Cusack movies, in Serendipity Jonathan tells Sara that he can make out the constellation Cassiopeia from the freckles on her arm. In 1985’s The Sure Thing, John’s character points out the constellation Cassiopeia to his love interest Alison.
4. While the movie was on location in NYC, production posted the following note on the trailer to stop curious people passing by from asking questions.
“Yes, we are filming a movie. It is called Serendipity. It stars John Cusack and some girl from Britain that you wouldn’t know – even if we told you her name. We will be shooting tonight until midmorning. Please don’t ask the crew any questions. Even if they don’t look like they are working, they are thinking.”
5. The table where Sara and Jonathan drink a famous Frozen Hot Chocolate has been called the Star Table at the Serendipity restaurant ever since the movie was released.
6. After 9/11, shots of the World Trade Center towers were digitally removed from all NYC skyline shots.
7. Speaking of NYC, stars are seen in the Manhattan sky at night. However, New York produces so much light, stars are invisible.
8. A twelve-to-fifteen year gap was originally intended for the time between when Jonathan and Sara first meet and their eventual reunion.
While the characters were initially written as “early twenties,” test audiences didn’t think Kate and John were youthful enough to pull it off and the script was adjusted to make the gap only five years.
The same thing happens to John and Bridget’s characters in HBO’s Sex and the City, where John’s character was engaged to Carrie and Bridget’s was the wife of Mr. Big.
10. During the entire production, John and Kate only filmed for a few days together.