With the hype of the new Mortal Kombat: Legacy movie set to hit theaters this year, people are saying, “Isn’t that Mike Chang from ‘Glee’?” Harry Shum Jr. has certainly proved that he’s a master of dance, but his new movie is a whole new type of choreography. Based off of the iconic Mortal Kombat video games, the film will feature Shum as Kuai Liang. Here are 10 facts you might not have known…
1. Shum is a triple threat as an actor, dancer and choreographer. His moves can be seen in three Step Up movies, Stomp the Yard, You Got Served, and of course Glee.
2. He’s been a concert dancer for some pretty big superstar divas: Mariah Carey, Jessica Simpson, J-Lo and Beyonce!
3. He’s married to actress/dancer Shelby Rabara.
Rabara has appeared in movies such as 17 Again and is a voice actor for the Cartoon Network show Steven Universe.
3. Shum was born in Costa Rica and even identifies himself as being “somewhat Latin.”
4. Shum learned Spanish as a first language and also knows Cantonese. He even claims to dream in multiple languages!
5. He was one of the dancing iPod silhouettes for the Apple commercials.
6. He’s a big fan of Gene Kelly.
In one episode of Glee, Shum channeled his inner Singin’ In The Rain muse by performing the iconic “Make’em Laugh” number with Matthew Morrison (“Make’em Laugh” isn’t performed by Kelly in the movie but…close enough!).
7. Shum considers himself a daredevil when it comes to trying new foods. He’s even eaten crickets.
8. His mother is from Hong Kong and his father is from China. Though he didn’t grow up there, Shum is fascinated with Asian culture and is pretty good at martial arts (probably due to his dancing).
9. As a kid, Shum was very shy and even went to therapy to sharpen his social skills.
10. He’s a self-proclaimed video game geek.